The American Academy of Oral Prophylaxis and Periodontology was founded in 1914 and changed its name to the American Academy of Periodontology in 1919.
The American Academy of Periodontology was founded in 1914 by two women, Drs. Gillette Hayden and Grace Roger Spalding. It was initially named the American Academy of Oral Prophylaxis and Periodontology and began with 18 charter members. The name was changed to the American Academy of Periodontology in 1919. The Academy’s first Annual Meeting was held in Washington, DC, on November 5-7, 1914, with 17 members present.
In 1965, the Academy’s Secretary, Dr. Robert Kesel negotiated a lease for 600 square feet of space in the just-completed American Dental Association building at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, Illinois. Dr. Kesel recruited the first staff member, Marilyn Holmquist, who was given the title of Assistant Secretary in 1967 (later changed to Executive Director).
A merger of the American Academy of Periodontology and the American Society of Periodontists took place in 1967. The organizations were consolidated under the name, the American Academy of Periodontology.
Today, the American Academy of Periodontology has a membership of approximately 8,000. The Academy is incorporated in Illinois, and is now housed in 14,000 square feet of space at 737 N. Michigan, directly next door to the American Dental Association.