AAP Membership Demographics
- Active (3,396): Periodontists licensed to practice in the United States
- Associate (130): Dentists interested in periodontology
- Student (894): Dentists enrolled in an ADA-approved periodontal program or in practice less than three years
- International (1,775): Dentists residing outside of the United States who are interested in periodontology
- Life – Active (1,053): Those age 65 or older who have been an Active member in good standing in the Academy for at least 25 consecutive years, or were a Life-Voting member prior to September 26, 2002; may still practice
- Retired (645): Members of any dues-paying category who are completely retired from practice
Characteristics of Academy Members
- 82% of members are male
- 77% are engaged in private practice
86 countries are represented by our membership. The international countries with the largest membership are shown below.
- Japan 21%
- Canada 18%
- Germany 6%
- Italy 6%
- Australia 5%
- Taiwan 5%
- Brazil 4%
- France 4%
- Great Britain 4%
About 40% of respondents to the Academy’s most recent Practice Profile Survey report that they expanded or increased the size of their practice over the past three years. Nearly 40% say that they plan to expand or increase the size of their practice over the next three years.
Main Reasons for Joining AAP*
- 94% join AAP for the Journal of Periodontology
- 84% join AAP for the conferences and meetings
- 70% join AAP for the Journal of Periodontology
- 70% join AAP for the conferences and meetings
- 88% have a strong interest in periodontics
95.9% of all respondents typically attend the exhibits at AAP meetings.
The following statistics show the percentage of members who use the Membership Directory to find contact information on
- 86.3% Active
- 80.5% Life Active
- 68.3% International
- 68.5% Associate
District 1*: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, Province of Quebec and the Maritime Provinces of Canada
District 2: Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and the following cities and counties of the State of Virginia- Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax City, Vienna, Arlington County and Loudon County.
District 3: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia with the exceptions of the following cities and counties; Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax City, Vienna, Arlington County and Loudon, Guam and the Virgin Islands.
District 4*: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Provinces of Ontario and Manitoba.
District 5: Arkansas, Colorado, Louisiana, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico, and Texas
District 6*: Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, Provinces of British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan.
District 7: New Jersey and New York
District 8: Federal Dental Services. Employment of the Federal Government including all branches of federal services, both civilian and military.
* Includes provinces for Active members residing in Canada.